Wyoming Name Change

A Wyoming name change is much easier than you might imagine. First, you will need to complete a form or petition, file it with the right court, and pay a fee. We can help you get started with the following information:

What forms are required for a Wyoming name change?

The State of Wyoming does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Wyoming Statutes for more details: Wyoming Statutes 1-25-101 - 103

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Wyoming?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee in Wyoming for a name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date and time for your hearing when you file your petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice of your petition must be published in the local newspaper at least once a week for four consecutive weeks between the date you file your petition with the clerk's office and the date of your hearing.