Wisconsin Name Change

With a little guidance to help you along, you will discover that changing your name in Wisconsin is something you can do on your own. The general requirements consist of filing forms with the court, paying a fee, and attending a hearing. The information below will help simplify the process.

What forms are required for a Wisconsin name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Wisconsin:

  • Petition for Change of Name
  • Order for Hearing
  • Notice of Hearing
  • Order for Changing of Name

These formscan be found on the Wisconsin County Legal Forms website.

NOTE: The standard Wisconsin state name change forms to be filed in WI Circuit Courts are not available online. See the "Wisconsin Courts Self-Help Center" link at bottom for information on how to obtain the correct forms.

Where do I file the forms for a Wisconsin name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The Petition will need to be notarized, but the clerk may notarize the Petition for Change of Namefor free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Wisconsin?

Yes. There will be a filing fee that varies by court. Check with the clerk to determine the cost. Often the court will grant a fee waiver with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date and time for your court hearing when you file your Petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. The Notice of Hearing must be published once a week for at least three consecutive weeks prior to the hearing.

Important Links:

Directory of Wisconsin County Legal Forms

Wisconsin State Law Library Page on Name Changes

Wisconsin Courts Self-Help Center on Name Changes