Virginia Name Change

A name change in Virginia is a simple process which requires that you complete only one form and file it with the court in the county where you live. A fee is required. The information provided here will clear up your confusion and help you take the first steps toward changing your name.

What forms are required for a Virginia name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Virginia:

  • Application for Change of Name (Adult) (Form CC-1411)

These forms can be found on the Virginia State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Virginia?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The Application will need to be notarized, or signed in front of a court clerk.

Is there a filing fee in Virginia for a name change?

Yes. There will be a filing fee which varies by courthouse. Contact the clerk to find out the cost. Oftentimes a fee waiver may be obtained with a sufficient showing of financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local courthouse.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local courthouse.