Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Utah Name Change

UPDATED: September 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

In Utah, the process to change your name is reasonably simple. In fact, you most likely won't even need to attend a hearing. Just complete and notarize the forms, file them with the right court, and pay the fee and you will be nearly finished. More information is provided below to help you along the way.

What forms are required for a name change in Utah? The following forms are required to change your name in Utah:

  • Cover Sheet for Civil Actions
  • Petition for Name Change
  • Department of Corrections Certificate Regarding Sex Offender Registry
  • Request for Hearing
  • Notice for Hearing on Petition for Name Change
  • Order Changing Name

These forms can be found on the Utah Court System website.

Where do I file the forms for a Utah name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The clerk of the court can notarize the Petition for Name Change for free when you bring it to court. However, it is recommended that you have it notarized beforehand because the court is usually very busy.

Is there a filing fee for a Utah name change?

Yes. The fee is $155. However, you may have the fee waived if you can show sufficient financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No. Unless somebody files an objection to your name change and requests a hearing.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local court clerk for information on whether that court requires you to publish notice of your name change.

Is there anything else?

You must obtain a certification that your name is not on the Utah Sex Offender Registry. You may also need to be a county resident for more than a year; check with your local courthouse.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.