Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

South Dakota Name Change

UPDATED: September 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

The requirements for changing your name in South Dakota mostly consist of a petition or form filed with the court, payment of a fee, and attending a hearing. It isn't as difficult as you might expect, and with a little information to guide you a name change is a manageable task. Information to help is included below, with answers to the questions commonly asked about the South Dakota name change process.

What forms are required for a South Dakota name change?

The State of South Dakota does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the South Dakota Code for more details: South Dakota Code Title 21, Chapter 37- Change of Name

Where do I file the forms for a name change in South Dakota?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee for a South Dakota name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date for your hearing when you file your petition. The hearing will be at least four weeks from the time you file your petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice must be published at least once a week for four consecutive weeks prior to the hearing.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.