South Carolina Name Change

Did you know that in South Carolina you can change your name with relatively little fuss? The process mostly requires that you file a form with the proper court and pay a fee. Let us help with the information you need to help you through the process, below.

What forms are required for a South Carolina name change?

The State of South Carolina does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the South Carolina Code of Laws for more details: South Carolina Code of Laws Title 15, Chapter 49- Change of Name

Where do I file the forms for a name change in South Carolina?

The completed forms must be filed with the family court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in South Carolina?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local family court to determine whether a hearing is required.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local circuit court to determine whether you need to publish a notice of your petition to change your name or your hearing in a local paper.