Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Rhode Island Name Change

UPDATED: September 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Changing your name in Rhode Island is a relatively simple procedure. Only one form is required, which you must complete and file with the proper court at which time you will be required to pay a fee. Here is more information that will help you navigate the process.

What forms are required for a Rhode Island name change?

The following form is required to change your name in Rhode Island:

  • Change of Name Form (Form PC-8.1)

This form can be found on the Rhode Island Secretary of State website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Rhode Island?

The completed form must be filed with the probate court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. Ask the clerk if he or she may perform the function of a notary public. If not, check with your bank. Banks often offer notary services for free for their account holders.

Is there a filing fee in Rhode Island for a name change?

Yes. Check with the court clerk to determine the amount. You may have the fee waived if you can show financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish notice of your name change in a local newspaper. Ask the clerk for more information on when and where to publish your notice.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.