Pennsylvania Name Change

Legal tasks such as changing your name can sometimes seem complicated. Don't be discouraged, though. In Pennsylvania, changing your name is fairly easy. The requirements mostly consist of filing a form or petition with the court and a fee. The information provided below will outline the requirements and help you start the process.

What forms are required for a Pennsylvania name change?

The State of Pennsylvania does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. The First Judicial District (Philadelphia County) posts its name change forms online.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Pennsylvania?

The completed forms must be filed with the clerk of the court of common pleas in the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local court clerk.

Is there a filing fee for a Pennsylvania name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date for your hearing when you file your petition. The hearing will be between one month and three months in the future.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. The clerk should give you information on where and when to publish notice.