Oregon Name Change

If you would like to change your name in Oregon, don't be daunted by what may seem like a complicated legal procedure. Actually, a name change is a simple process that mostly requires that you file a petition or form with the court and pay a fee. In Oregon, no hearing is required unless someone challenges your petition. We can help with information about the steps you should take to change your name.

What forms are required for an Oregon name change?

The State of Oregon does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. If you live in Marion County, your required forms are here. Click on the following link and search the Oregon Revised Statutes for more details: Oregon Revised Statutes 33.410-20

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Oregon?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The Petition must be notarized. Often the court clerk may perform this function, or you may generally have it performed at your bank for free.

Is there a filing fee for an Oregon name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No. Unless you Petition is challenged after notice is published.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local circuit court to determine whether you need to publish a notice of your petition to change your name or your hearing in a local paper.