Oklahoma Name Change

To change your name in Oklahoma, you will first need to file the right form with the proper court. It might seem like a complex process, but actually a name change is a pretty simple procedure that you can likely do on your own. Let us get you started with information that will help you along the way.

What forms are required for an Oklahoma name change?

The State of Oklahoma does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Oklahoma Statutes: Oklahoma Statutes- Title 12, Section 1631-35

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Oklahoma?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee for a name change in Oklahoma?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk should schedule a hearing for you when you file you petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice must be published in a local newspaper at least once and at least ten days prior to the hearing date.