Ohio Name Change

Would you like to change your name in Ohio? Changing your name in Ohio is fairly easy to do, and you can probably accomplish this legal task on your own with just a little information to get you started. Below is the information you will need, from forms to fees to courts, to start you off in the right direction.

What forms are required for an Ohio name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Ohio:

  • Application for Change of Name of Adult (Form 21.0)
  • Judgment Entry-Change of Name of Adult (Form 21.1)
  • Notice of Hearing on Change of Name (Form 21.5)

These forms can be found on the Ohio Probate Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Ohio?

The completed forms must be filed with the probate court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee in Ohio for a name change?

Yes. There should be a filing fee. Check with your local probate court for more details. The court will waive the fee if you can make a sufficient showing of financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date for your court hearing when you file your Application.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish notice of your hearing in a local newspaper. Check with your local probate court clerk to determine which paper and when it should be published.