North Carolina Name Change

Legal tasks like changing your name can often seem too difficult to do on your own. In North Carolina, though, changing your name is mostly just a matter of filing the notarized, completed forms with the right court and paying a fee. The information provided below will clarify the requirements even more.

What forms are required for a name change in North Carolina?

The following forms are required to change your name in North Carolina:

  • Notice (of Intent to file Petition)
  • Petition for Legal Name Change of an Adult
  • Affidavits of Character (2)

These forms can be found on the Wake County Courts website. The Affidavits must be signed by two adults who reside in your county.

Where do I file the forms for a North Carolina name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The Petition and both Affidavits must be notarized.

Is there a filing fee for a North Carolina name change?

Yes. The fee is $50. A fee waiver may be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No. Unless somebody objects to your Petition after notice is given.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

No. However, you must post your Notice on the courthouse bulletin board (or door of the Clerk's Office). It must be posted for at least 10 full calendar days prior to submission of your Petition.