New Mexico Name Change

To perform your own name change in New Mexico, you will need to file the proper form with the court and generally must pay a fee. The process, though, is not complicated, and you can probably accomplish this task on your own with little or no help. The following information is provided to get you started.

What forms are required for a New Mexico name change?

The State of New Mexico does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the New Mexico Statutes for more details: New Mexico Statutes Chapter 40, Article 8, Sections 1-3: Change of Name

Where do I file the forms for a name change in New Mexico?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in New Mexico?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date for your hearing when you file your petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice must be published in a local newspaper at least once a week for two consecutive weeks prior to the submission of your petition to the court.