Nevada Name Change

If you would like to change your name in Nevada, you will find that you can do so rather easily. The filing the correct form with the court with a fee is the first step. Here is some useful information to get you started.

What forms are required for a Nevada name change?

The State of Nevada, outside of Clark County, does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. If you live in Clark County, use these forms. Click on the following link and search the Nevada Revised Statutes for more details: Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 41, Sections 270-90: Proceeding to Change Names of Natural Persons

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Nevada?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court should notarize your petition for free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a Nevada name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No. Unless somebody objects to your name change petition after you publish a notice in the local newspaper.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish notice of your name change in a local newspaper once a week for three consecutive weeks. Check with your district court clerk for a listing of appropriate papers.