Nebraska Name Change

Changing your name in Nebraska might seem confusing, but in actuality it is a relatively simple procedure that you can accomplish on your own. Filing the proper form with the court and paying a fee will get you started. The following information will help you get the process under way.

What forms are required for a Nebraska name change?

The State of Nebraska does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Nebraska Revised Statutes for more details: Nebraska Revised Statutes Section 25-21,271

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Nebraska?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live. You must be a citizen of that county for at least one year prior to filing your petition.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Nebraska?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a hearing date when you file your petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice must be published once a week for at least four consecutive weeks prior to the hearing.