Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Montana Name Change

UPDATED: October 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

If you would like to change your name in Montana, you might be surprised to discover that the procedure is relatively simple. We can help by providing you with the information you need to begin.

What forms are required for a Montana name change?

The State of Montana does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Montana Code for more details: Montana Code Title 27, Chapter 31- Change of Name

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Montana?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee in Montana for a name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will schedule a hearing on your proposed name change at least 4-6 weeks in the future.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Notice of the time and place of the heading must be published in a local newspaper for at least four weeks in a row prior to the hearing.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.