Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Missouri Name Change

UPDATED: February 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

In Missouri, changing your name begins with completing and filing the proper form with the circuit court clerk where you live. The following information will help you get started:

What forms are required for a name change in Missouri?

The State of Missouri does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Missouri Revised Statutes for more details: Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 527, Sections 270, 280, and 290

Where do I file the forms for a Missouri name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local circuit court clerk.

Is there a filing fee for a Missouri name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local circuit court to determine whether a hearing is required.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish notice in a local newspaper at least three times after the order of court is made. The clerk should tell you which newspaper(s) is ok for you to publish your notice with.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.