Minnesota Name Change

In Minnesota, changing your name is a relatively simple procedure that you can complete on your own. The information below will get you started and simplify the process.

What forms are required for a Minnesota name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Minnesota:

  • Application for Name Change
  • Criminal History Check Release
  • Proposed Order Granting Name Change

These forms can be found on the Minnesota Judicial Branch website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Minnesota?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. The Applicationmust be made under oath and signed in front of a notary public or a deputy court administrator.

Is there a filing fee in Minnesota for a name change?Yes. The fee varies by courthouse. Check with your local district court clerk to determine the cost. A fee waiver may be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will give you the date of your court hearing when you file your Application.When you appear in court, you must bring two witnesses who know you and who will testify as to your identity.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?


Any additional requirements?

A criminal history check must be completed prior to filing. See the Criminal History Check Release or check with your local courthouse for more information.