Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Michigan Name Change

UPDATED: October 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

While you might expect it to be a complicated legal task, changing your name in Michigan is fairly easy. File a few forms in the proper court, pay the fee, and you will be well on your way. Here is the information you need to get started:

What forms are required for a Michigan name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Michigan:

  • Petition to Change Name(form PC 51)
  • Order Following Hearing on Petition to Change Name(PC 52)
  • Publication of Notice of Hearing (form PC 563)

These forms can be found on the Michigan State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Michigan?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court can notarize the Petition for Change of Namefor free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Michigan?

Yes. The fee is $150. A fee waiver may be obtained with a showing of sufficient financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing when you file you Petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Ask the clerk of the circuit court for more details on where and when to publish your newspaper notice.

Anything else?

Yes. You must also have two sets of fingerprints taken by a local policy agency if you are 22 years old or older. Ask the clerk of the court for more details.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.