Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Massachusetts Name Change

UPDATED: October 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

You will find that a name change in Massachusetts is much easier than you might expect. In fact, many people opt to complete this simple legal task on their own. From forms to fees to courts, we can help you get started with information about the process.

What forms are required for a Massachusetts name change?

Massachusetts does not have state-wide name change forms, but each Massachusetts Probate and Family Court has its own forms.

These forms can be found on the Massachusetts Law Library website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Massachussets?

The completed forms must be filed with the clerk of the probate and family court in the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee for a name change in Massachusetts?

Yes. Check with your local probate and family court clerk to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No. Unless somebody objects to your name change after notice is published in the local newspaper.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. Check with the clerk of your local courthouse for more information on which paper to contact and how long the notice needs to run in the paper.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.