Maryland Name Change

Though a Maryland name change might seem difficult, in truth it is relatively simple. The process primarily consists of filling out the right forms and filing them with the proper court. Also, you will be required to pay a fee. We can help you get started with this easy-to-understand information about changing your name.

What forms are required for name change in Maryland?

The following forms are required to change your name in Maryland:

  • Civil-Domestic Case Information Report(form DCIR)
  • Petition for Change of Name(form DR60)
  • Notice for Publication(form DR61)
  • Certificate of Publication(form DR75)
  • Order for Change of Name (form JO12)

These forms can be found on the Maryland State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a Maryland name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee for a name change in Maryland?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

No. Unless somebody objects to your Petitionafter notice has been published.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. The Notice for Publication must be published in a local newspaper. Check with the clerk of the court for more information on which paper in which you should publish your notice and for how long it should run.