Louisiana Name Change

You might be surprised to learn how manageable a name change is in Louisiana. The procedure mostly consists of completing a form or petition and filing it in the court of your parish. Payment of a fee is required. With this helpful information about forms, fees, and more, you will be well on your way.

What forms are required for a Louisiana name change?

The State of Louisiana does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Louisiana Revised Statutes for more details: Louisiana Revised Statutes Article 13, Section 4751: Change of Name

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Louisiana?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the parish where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee for a Louisiana name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local circuit court to determine whether a hearing is required.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local circuit court to determine whether you need to publish a notice of your petition to change your name or your hearing in a local paper.