Kentucky Name Change

In Kentucky, the procedure for a name change is much simpler than you might expect. In fact, you might be surprised to learn that it is mostly a matter of completing a form and filing it with the proper court. From forms to fees, let us get you started with helpful information that will simplify the process.

What form is required for a Kentucky name change?

The following form is required to change your name in Kentucky:

  • Petition for Name Change

This form can be found on the Kentucky Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Kentucky?

The completed forms must be filed with the clerk of the district or probate court in the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?


Is there a filing fee for a name change in Kentucky?

Yes. The fee, as of the date of this publication, is $28. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Varies by courthouse. Ask the clerk to find out if you need to schedule a court hearing.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?