Kansas Name Change

For a Kansas name change, you will need to complete a petition or form. However, the process is not as difficult as you might expect. You may opt to do it on your own, and we can help get you started with information regarding forms, fees, courts and more.

What forms are required for a Kansas name change?

The State of Kansas does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Kansas Revised Statutes for more details: Kansas Revised Statutes, Chapter 60, Article 14- Change of Name

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Kansas?

The completed forms must be filed with the District court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee in Kansas for a name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The clerk will give you a date and time for your hearing when you file your petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local courthouse. If the court requires publication, notice must be published once a week for three consecutive weeks after the petition is filed and before the hearing.