Idaho Name Change

Handling your own name change in Idaho is not as complicated as you might think. The procedure mostly consists of filling out the proper forms and filing them with your local district court. Let us help you get started with the following information:

What forms are required for a name change in Idaho?

The following forms are required to change your name in Idaho:

  • Petition to Change Name(CAO 12-1)
  • Name Change Hearing(CAO 12-2)
  • Order for Change of Name(CAO 12-3)
  • Name Change Letter for Publication(CAO 12-4)

These forms can be found on the Idaho State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for an Idaho name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court will notarize the Petition to Change Namefor free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Idaho?

Yes. The fee is $77. A fee waiver may be obtained using the Fee Waiver forms with a showing of sufficient hardship. There is a second fee waiver form as well.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will give you a date for your court hearing that is at least six weeks from the date you file your Petition.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. The Name Change Letter for Publication must be posted once a week for four successive weeks after your Petition has been filed.