Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Delaware Name Change

UPDATED: October 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Changing your name in Delaware is a relatively simple process that you can do on your own. In Delaware you must start by publishing a Notice of Name Change in a local newspaper. Then, it is mostly a matter of completing and filing forms and paying a fee. The information here will provide you with simple answers to common questions about the name change requirements.

What forms are required for a Delaware name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Delaware:

  • Petition for Name Change
  • Affidavit
  • Notice of Name Change for Publication

These forms can be found on the Delaware Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Delaware?

The completed forms must be filed with the clerk of the court of common pleas in the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court can generally notarize the Petition for Name Changefor free when you bring it to court. Many times your bank will offer notary services for free as well.

Is there a filing fee in Delaware for a name change?

Yes. The fee is $50. A fee waiver may generally be obtained using the Fee Waiver form with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper? Yes. The Notice of Name Change must be published at least once a week for three weeks before the Petition is submitted.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.