Connecticut Name Change

You might be surprised by how simple it is to change your name in Connecticut. In fact, the process is mostly a matter of filling out a simple form and filing it with the proper court. From forms to fees, the following information will help you begin the process.

What forms are required for a Connecticut name change?

The following form is required to change your name in Connecticut:

  • Application for Change of Name (PC 910-adult PC 910A-minor) (note: this form is only for filing in probate court)

This forms can be found on the Connecticut Judicial Branch website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Connecticut?

The completed forms must be filed with the clerk of the superior or probate court in the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the name change forms?


Is there a filing fee in Connecticut for a name change?

Check with your local courthouse. There most likely is a filing fee for your name change application. Courts generally waive filing fees with a sufficient showing of financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local courthouse. Sometimes courts require a hearing where you'll have to justify your name change so the court is assured that you're not trying to avoid a debt or creditors.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local courthouse. Often courts require you to publish notice of your name change so any member of the community who might take issue with the change may come forward with any grievance.