Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Colorado Name Change

UPDATED: October 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

It isn't difficult to change your name in Colorado, and you can do it on your own. It mostly involves filling out the right forms and filing them with the local district or county court clerk. A fee will also be required. We can help you get started with the following information:

What forms are required for a Colorado name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Colorado:

  • Order for Publication for Change of Name(JDF 426)
  • Public Notice(JDF 427)
  • Petition for Change of Name(JDF 433)
  • Final Decree for Change of Name (JDF 448)

These forms can be found on the Colorado State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Colorado?

The completed forms must be filed with the district or county court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court can notarize the Petition for Change of Namefor free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee in Colorado for a name change?

Yes. The fee is $49. A fee waiver may be obtained using the Fee Waiver form with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish a copy of the Order for Publication and the Public Notice in a local newspaper at least 3 times within 21 days from the date of the publication order given by the court.

Are there any additional requirements?

You must submit a criminal history check from the CBI and the FBI when you file for a change of name. The check must be done within 90-days before you submit your name change paperwork.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.