Arkansas Name Change

Completing your own name change in Arkansas is not as difficult as you might expect. Once you complete the proper forms, simply file them with the right court and pay the fee, and you will be well on your way. Let us help you begin the process.

What forms are required for an Arkansas name change?

The State of Arkansas does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Arkansas Code for more details: Arkansas Legal Database- Search for Code Provision 9-2-101

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Arkansas?

The completed forms must be filed with the circuit court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court should notarize your petition for free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee in Arkansas for a name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local circuit court to determine whether a hearing is required.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local circuit court to determine whether you need to publish a notice of your petition to change your name or your hearing in a local paper.