Alaska Name Change

Changing your name in Alaska is a surprisingly simple procedure that can be done without the help of a lawyer. The first steps are to complete and file the proper forms with the court in the county where you live and pay the required fee. We can help with useful information that will assist you along the way.

What forms are required for a name change in Alaska?

The following forms are required to change your name in Alaska:

  • Petition for Change of Name(CIV-700)
  • Application or Report of Change of Name (VS-405)

These forms can be found on the Alaska Court System website.

Where do I file the forms for an Alaska name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the superior court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court can notarize the Petition for Change of Namefor free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a name change in Alaska?

Yes. The fee is $150. A fee waiver may be obtained using the Fee Waiver form with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper? Yes. A copy of the Order for Hearing, Publication and Posting (given to you by the clerk) must be published in a local newspaper once a week for at least 4 weeks before the hearing date. After the hearing, a "Notice of Judgment" must be published once.