Alabama Name Change

Handling your own Alabama name change is not as difficult as you might think. It is mostly a matter of properly completing the right form and filing it with the proper court. From forms to fees to courts, we'll help you get started.

What forms are required for a name change in Alabama?

The State of Alabama does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you.

Where do I file the forms for an Alabama name change?

The completed forms must be filed with the probate court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Check with your local courthouse.

Is there a filing fee for an Alabama name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local probate court to determine whether a hearing is required.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local probate court to determine whether you need to publish a notice of your petition to change your name or your hearing in a local paper.