Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Washington Marriage

UPDATED: November 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Washington marriage laws require couples wishing to be married in the state of Washington to obtain a valid marriage license. Minors will need to obtain parental consent and, in some cases, court approval before a marriage license will be issued. Washington does not recognize common law marriages. For more on the details of Washington marriage laws, see the information below.


Washington Marriage Consent Laws

  • With Parental Consent: 17 year-olds must have at least one parent with them at the time of the application to provide parental consent. Minors younger than 17 must also obtain approval from the Washington superior court judge in the county in which they reside.
  • Without Parental Consent: Adults 18 and older can apply for a marriage license in the state of Washington without parental consent.


Washington Common Law Marriage

The state of Washington does not recognize common law marriages.


Washington Marriage License

  • Residency:  No residency requirement.
  • Tests: None.
  • Identification Required:  Photo ID such as a driver’s license or passport, or a certified birth certificate.
  • Appearance/Proxy:  No proxy marriages in Washington. However, if one party is unable to be present at the time of the application, some counties may offer absentee marriage applications.
  • Previous Marriages:  Previously married individuals do not need to provide documentary proof of the end of those marriages, but any divorce must be finalized before getting a marriage license in Washington.
  • Length of License:  60 days from the time of issuance.
  • Fees:  Vary by county, but generally $60, payable in cash only.
  • Authorized Washington Officiants:  Any ordained or licensed minister.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.