Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What is the marriage age without a parent's consent?

UPDATED: January 31, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

The rules for how old you have to be to get married without a parent's consent vary from state to state. If you want to get married without parental consent, you need to be at least 18 years old in 48 of the 50 states in the United States. The two remaining states are Nebraska, where the marriage age is 19, and Mississippi where the marriage age is 21.

If you do not meet these age requirements, you may be able to get married with the permission of your parents.

  • Parties in California, Colorado, Kentucky, Louisiana, and Texas may get married at any age with parental consent. In Kentucky, the consent of a judge may also be needed and in Texas, marriage is not allowed under the age of 14 for males and 13 for females.
  • In Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Vermont, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia, you may get married with parental consent at age 16 or older.
  • In Alaska, Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming you may get married if you are under the age of 16 only if you have both parental and judicial consent.
  • In Hawaii, parties may get married at the age of 15 with parental consent and/or the consent of a judge. Parental consent is needed in Alabama and Utah at age 14, and in Nebraska and Oregon, the age is 17.
  • The ages for males and females to marry differs in some states. In New Hampshire, the ages at which you may get married with parental consent are 14 for males and 13 for females. In Kansas and Massachusetts, the age for marriage with consent is 14 for males and 12 for females.
  • Parties may marry with consent by reason of pregnancy or the birth of a child even if they are underage in: Arkansas, Delaware, Indiana, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Washington, and West Virginia.

If you are considering marriage and are not certain if you are eligible based on the rules in your state, you should consider contacting a family law attorney for help. A lawyer can also help you if you need to petition the court for judicial permission to marry.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.