New Hampshire Marriage
UPDATED: November 29, 2010
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.
We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
New Hampshire marriage laws require that couples obtain a valid marriage license from the state before the marriage can be performed. Minors and previously married individuals must meet additional requirements before the license can be issued. See below for more details on New Hampshire marriages.
New Hampshire Marriage Consent Laws
- With Parental Consent: Males between the ages of 14 and 17 and females between the ages of 13 and 17 can marry with parental consent and a judicial waiver. Males under 14 and females under 13 will not be issued a marriage license in New Hampshire under any circumstances.
- Without Parental Consent: Adults 18 and older can marry in New Hampshire without parental consent.
New Hampshire Common Law Marriage
New Hampshire does recognize common law marriages, but only posthumously, for estate and inheritance purposes. If a couple cohabitated for more than 3 years, holding themselves out to the public as husband and wife, then they will be considered to have been legally married in New Hampshire after one of them passes away.
New Hampshire Marriage License
- Residency: No residency requirements.
- Tests: None.
- Identification Required: Photo ID is required, and individuals under 25 should bring a certified copy of their birth certificate, for proof of age.
- Appearance/Proxy: No proxy marriages in New Hampshire. Both parties must be present at the time of application.
- Previous Marriages: Previously married individuals must provide a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate, proving the end of the marriage.
- Length of License: 90 days from the time of issuance.
- Fees: $45, payable in cash only.
- Authorized New Hampshire Officiants: Judges, ordained ministers, and justices of the peace.