Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!
Fast, Free, and Confidential
Georgia marriage laws define the guidelines for obtaining a valid marriage license in Georgia. In addition to each of these requirements, minors wishing to be married must obtain the consent of their parents. Georgia does not recognize common law marriages, although common law marriages created before 1997 are still legally recognized. The details on Georgia marriage licenses are provided below.
Georgia Marriage Consent Laws
- With Parental Consent: Individuals must be at least 16 to obtain a valid Georgia marriage license. 16 and 17 year-olds must provide parental consent from both parents, in person.
- Without Parental Consent: Adults 18 and older do not need parental consent to be married in Georgia.
Georgia Common Law Marriage
Georgia does not recognize new common law marriages. However, any common law marriages created before 1997 are still recognized.
Georgia Marriage License
- Residency: There is no residency requirement to obtain a Georgia marriage license. If either party is a Georgia resident, the license can be issued in any Georgia county.
- Tests: Blood tests no longer required in Georgia.
- Identification Required: Couples must present two valid forms of identification, including driver’s license, birth certificate, passport, or military ID.
- Appearance/Proxy: Proxy marriages are not allowed in Georgia
- Previous Marriages: If either party was divorced in the last 6 months, a certified copy of the divorce decree must be provided. Also, some counties may require a certified copy of the divorce decree no matter how long ago it occurred, so it’s a good idea to call ahead to check with your county, or just bring a certified copy to be sure.
- Fees: Fees vary depending on whether the couple completed a qualified premarital education program. In general, the fee can range from $26 to $61 dollars.
- Authorized Georgia Officiants: Georgia officiants include licensed or ordained ministers, members of the clergy, pastors, and justices of the peace.