Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Delaware Marriage

UPDATED: November 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

The state of Delaware has specific requirements for obtaining a marriage license. Couples need not be residents of the state, but must wait 4 days following the application for the marriage license to be issued. Furthermore, minors must get the consent of their parents. The exact requirements for obtaining a Delaware are set forth below.


Delaware Marriage Consent Laws

  • With Parental Consent: Any individual under 18 must provide a signed parental consent form, which can be obtained at the Delaware Clerk of the Peace office.
  • Without Parental Consent: Individuals 18 years of age and older can get married in Delaware without parental consent.


Delaware Common Law Marriage

Delaware does not recognize common law marriages.


Delaware Marriage License

  • Residency:  No residency requirement for obtaining a Delaware marriage license, but there is a 4-day waiting period for non-residents after applying.
  • Tests: None.
  • Identification Required:  Couples must provide simple photo identification or a birth certificate, as well as social security number.
  • Appearance/Proxy:  Proxy marriages are not allowed in Delaware.
  • Previous Marriages:  Any individual previously married must provide a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate of a deceased spouse.
  • Length of License:  A Delaware marriage license is valid for 30 days after issuance.
  • Fees:  $35, payable in cash only.
  • Authorized Delaware Officiants:  Officiants in Delaware include any Delaware Clerk of the Peace and any ordained minister. Ministers must keep a copy of the marriage license for one year and provide the required forms to a Clerk of the Peace within 4 days of the marriage ceremony.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.