Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Do I have to take a blood test to get married?

UPDATED: February 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Marriage blood tests are virtually a thing of the past in today’s society. Years ago, a blood test was required when a marriage application was requested by a couple in order to make sure that neither party had a sexually transmitted disease or other potentially harmful disorder that could be transmitted to the other party during marital relations. Because of the questionable efficiency of blood tests in actually preventing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, however, and because of the extra cost and hassle involved in monitoring and receiving the results of the test, most states have done away with the official requirement for a blood test prior to receiving a marriage license.

Do I Ever Need a Blood Test to Get a Marriage License?

This isn't to say that you'll never need a blood test. A lot depends on where you live, since there are a few states or areas of the country that still have an official requirement for a blood test prior to receiving a marriage license. These states include:

  • The District of Columbia,
  • Georgia,
  • Indiana,
  • Massachusetts,
  • Montana, and
  • Oklahoma. 

What Will I be Tested For?

When a blood test is required, there are a variety of different things the test may be looking for. Some states require a blood test to check for venereal diseases, and a few also test for rubella (also known as German Measles, a disease that is very dangerous to fetuses). Tuberculosis, and sickle-cell anemia may also be identified on a pre-marital blood test. Due to the rise in HIV and AIDS, many states also now require that parties applying for a marital license must be offered an HIV test and/or must be provided with information on AIDS and tests available. Presently, however, no states requires a mandatory premarital HIV/AIDS test.

Getting Help

If you are applying for a marriage license, or planning to apply for one, and you aren't sure about the rules in your state, it is a good idea to contact the court clerk that issues marriage licenses or a family law attorney for guidance and advice.

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.