South Carolina Divorce & Finances
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!
Fast, Free, and Confidential
South Carolina Property Division/Equitable Distribution/Debts:
South Carolina is an equitable distribution state. Marital property will thus be distributed on terms considered to be fair. Note that fair does not necessarily mean equal. In the equitable distribution adjudication, the court will consider, among other things, the contributions of each spouse to the marital estate, the total value of the properties of the parties, the economic circumstances of each party, any misconduct that may have occurred, and the amount of spousal support awarded.
South Carolina Spousal Support:
Spousal support is a court-ordered regular payment from one spouse to another after a divorce. Whenever the court issues a decree for divorce, the court may also issue an order for spousal support. Spousal support may only be ordered in South Carolina if the court finds that it is necessary, but a divorce in itself creates no automatic obligation for either spouse to support the other. Where the court does grant spousal support (also called alimony or maintenance), it does so on a case-by-case basis and in consideration of many factors, including:
- The financial resources of the party seeking support;
- The time and input of resources necessary for the party seeking support to find appropriate employment and sufficient education/training for that employment;
- The established subjective standard of living during the marriage;
- Marriage duration;
- Physical and emotional condition of the party seeking support; and
- The ability of the proposed supporting spouse to meet his/her own needs while meeting those of the other spouse.
South Carolina Divorce/Child Support/Child Custody Lawyers:
Find an experienced South Carolina Divorce Attorney at AttorneyPages.com
Find an experienced South Carolina Child Support or Custody Lawyer at AttorneyPages.com
How a Family Lawyer Can Help
South Carolina Divorce Laws: Click below to find the South Carolina Divorce information you’re looking for:
South Carolina Divorce Law, Lawyers & Attorneys
South Carolina Divorce & Separation
South Carolina Child Custody & South Carolina Child Support
South Carolina Divorce Laws & Resources