Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

What documents need to be provided for an international adoption?

UPDATED: February 5, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

The rules and requirements for international adoptions vary, but in all cases, you will be asked for a certain amount of official paperwork to prove various things before the adoption can go forward legally. While you should consult with a lawyer and/or adoption agency for the specifics, in the majority of international adoptions you should expect to be asked to provide types of documentation listed in the next section.

Required Documentation for an International Adoption

 Required documents normally include:

  1. Birth certificates of the adoptive parent(s) and/or a marriage certificate if they are a married couple.
  2. Health certificates of the parent(s) from recent examinations, covering all general diseases and conditions, proving they are free from certain conditions such as HIV or Hepatitis-B.
  3. Recent photographs of the adoptive parent(s) and/or other children in the family.
  4. Any health reports related to the couple's ability to have biological children, or lack thereof (this will not preclude adoption, and is required only to help provide information on the possible future conditions of the family, i.e. if they plan to have children in the future, etc.).
  5. Financial statements including information on property owned, living status (rental, home ownership, etc.), assets, bank statements.
  6. Recommendation letters from various officials and personal acquaintances prepared to speak on the adoptive family's behalf.
  7. Documentation proving employment and income of the family member(s).
  8. Any written statements from other family members, i.e. biological children of legal age, expressing their views and consents to the adoption.
  9. Any paperwork on children adopted earlier.
  10. Possible paperwork from other family members willing to take responsibility for the children (for example, godparents) should something happen to the adoptive parents. This is particularly required in cases where the adoptive parents are of advanced age.

Getting Help

If you are involved in an international adoption and you wish to make sure the process goes smoothly you will need to hire a lawyer for help. An attorney can help make sure that your rights and the rights of your adopted child are given the full protection under the law. 

Join millions of Americans in starting your divorce online. Save thousands by avoiding the cost of an attorney.